Sunday, June 17, 2012

My Daddy...

Today was Father's Day.  It was a kinda weird day because I did not spend it with my dad or my father-in-law.  Instead, it was my brother-in-law, Mike, my niece, Madison, and I representing the family at church.  Then after church I got to babysit Madison while Mike went to the movies with his own dad.  Madison took a nap and we played and had a great time!  She is such a sweet little girl and loves to do whatever I do!





This afternoon I made my dad his father's day present.  I busted out my very first recipe I learned to cook, courtesy of my father - Cookie Dough!
A freezable container of cookie dough for each month.



This Fathers Day I have really enjoyed reading every one's Ode to their father's.  My own dad, is a great father.  He is not perfect, but I think in showing his flaws he is an even better father than those who act like they know everything all the time.  Children should look up to their parents, but not idolize them.  Parents make plenty of mistakes and that will make us all feel better when we are parents and do the same. Now, off my parenting soap box and onto how awesome my dad is.

My dad taught me so many things growing up (so did my mom, but its Father's day...).  The first memory that comes to mind was when I was young, my dad sat my sister and I down and explained a box that my great-grandfather made for us.  It had four compartments and a small opening for each on top.  Each box had its purpose and was labeled - Tithe, Missions, Asheena's Savings, and Shayla's Savings.  We were asked to put 10% of whatever we made into tithe, and 10% into our individual savings.  Missions was whatever extra we felt we should give.  My dad essentially gave my sister and I the gift of financial freedom that day.  He taught us to tithe and to save.  He told us that if we always gave 10% to God and 10% to ourselves, we would never have money problems.  How true is that?! 

Another thing my dad taught me was my own strength.  He raised me, as I jokingly say, as a boy.  I would go with him on jobs and would always rather be out in the garage with him than inside with my mom and sister.  I have fond childhood memories of being on the roof, fixing sprinklers, and climbing in the rafters.  My dad never let me get the impression that I couldn't do something, and even took it a step farther to giving me jobs that were probably way too hard for a child.  When I was around 10ish years old, I had a bedroom with a door that opened up to a patio.  This patio had a tree right next to it with a branch I really wanted cut off because it was hanging over the patio.  I asked my dad, as I am notorious for doing so, to cut it off.  He took me to the garage and showed me where the handsaw was.  Now, this branch was a good four or five inches thick and I had seen him use his power tools plenty of times, so I was not too happy.  But he did not back down and I got that saw and spent days cutting that branch down.  I finally sawed all the way through that branch and was so proud of myself.  That day my dad gave me the gift of perseverance and strength, not to mention independence!

One last gift my dad gave me that I want to share, is his blessing.  On May 31st, 2009, I got married after dating Kyle for less than a year.  My dad, oddly enough, was the one who really gave me the confidence and freedom to do that despite what anyone else thought about that decision.  Kyle and I started dating in June, while we were working at a Christian summer camp.  I came home after that camp for a few weeks in August.  I talked to my dad about Kyle and how I thought he was the 'one', but it seemed crazy because we both had so much school left and had only been dating for a few months.  My dad told me that he thinks its crazy when people know they are dating their future spouse, but put off getting married for years because it isn't the right time... because its never the right time.  Now, we didn't get engaged the day after he told me this, but it was always in the back of my mind.  I am so thankful my dad was so full of encouragement when we decided to get married.  So many fathers feel like they are losing their daughters when they get married, especially when their daughters are young, but my dad has fully embraced my brother-in-law, and Kyle as his own sons.  The gift of his blessing is one of the greatest he could have given me!



Ok, now on a lighter side.  I would like to thank my dad for my dark skin, dark hair and my height.  Also, as everyone in my family knows, he gave us kids our sense of humor... or not.  He taught me to put salt on my watermelon, that cookie dough is a meal, and that ground beef and kidney beans mixed with top ramen is delicious.  Also, he taught me how to win at every game I play.  One last thing, he build me a house... its mini... and its awesome.

I would like to end this blog with a picture of my awesome dad... in all his dorky glory!

Love you Dad!




No comments:

Post a Comment