Friday, June 8, 2012

Some of everything

Tonight is a usual night... It's midnight and I'm playing on my phone waiting for Kyle to get home from work. So why not update this blog that we are horrible at.

It's crazy how much our lives have changed in one year. We have now been living in Sacramento for a solid year. When we first moved here, there was a long time of adjusting to our new life. Kyle spent hours searching for a job and studying for boards. I spent tons of time with my family because it felt more like a visit than permanent.

Inevitably, as time has passed, we have settled in. Kyle finally seems to have a regular schedule at work. I am involved in a number of different things that not only keep me busy, but give me a purpose. Now, life is busy!

We just got back from a great and much needed visit with Kyle's family in North Dakota. His 'little' brother graduated from high school! The graduation was so nice and enjoyable, only lasting 50 minutes! I am weird about time and was bored at my own 3.5 hour graduation, so I really appreciated the brief ceremony. It was quite the perfect graduation... People laughed and cried and the graduates got to display a few 'stick it to the man' antics.

Also while we were visiting, Kyle's little sister got her permit.. At 14! Sometimes I think I should write a book about the differences between North Dakota and California. If I passed a 14 year old on the freeway I would have a heart attack. But there aren't too many freeways (or any since they call them the 'interstate') in ND, so I suppose 14 year olds driving isn't so ridiculous. Anyways, Kristin got her permit and asked me to take her out driving... For the first time! So there we were, two first timers going out together. She had never driven and I had never been the responsible adult for someone with their permit. Another difference there, I'm not old enough in CA to take a permit driver out! But I am in ND, so Kristin and I headed out and for the next 45 minutes she gave me the grand tour of Cando, ND about 8 times. Overall she did great, all 3 times she encountered another car (ok, probably an exaggeration, but you get my point!)

On the last day of our trip, we celebrated our 3 year wedding anniversary in Fargo! 3 years, woo hoo! It's so dumb to say, but seriously, where does the time go? I'm not sure.
So of course half way through our day we get a call that our flight is delayed and we'll miss our connection. Learning from past experience, we headed straight to the airport, waited in line for an hour, got everything straightened out, and made it home as scheduled. Another cheesy thing: seriously as we get older, these things just don't phase us.

I could continue to bumble along about our whole life store, but I won't bore anyone. Our lives have become so busy and fulfilled; more than I could have hoped for. We have been married for three wonderful years, have great family (and can afford to visit the ones who don't live close) and have amazing friends. What more could we ask for? I always come back to the promise God gives us in Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Four and a half years ago my pastors wrote this on a cribbage board they gave me right before I moved to ND for college. This was the verse I clung to when times got hard and I questioned if I made the right decision. And now this is the verse I rejoice in, because God has shown me a glimpse into the amazing plans He has for my life.

Ps. I think I made the right decision :)

No comments:

Post a Comment